Chana dal Usli / Chana dal Sundal is a nutritional snack that is high in protein and fiber. It is quick and simple to make. Now that Navaratri is here, make this simple yet tasty snack to offer to god and distribute among your friends and family….
Yogurt/curd is rich in calcium, Vitamin B12 and other very important nutrients. Of course it is also a well known probiotic. These probiotics can help boost the immune system and promote a healthy digestive tract.This is a very good home remedy for women who suffer from urinary track infection.
Ingredients for making homemade yogurt:
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons of yogurt, or yogurt starter
- Bring the milk aside and let to a boil, then set it cool. Once it has reached the right temperature — meaning that when you feel it with your finger, it is slightly more than warm, or around 115⁰F — transfer the milk to a container. Mix in the culture.
- Now we must maintain the temperature of this to allow it to ferment. There are two options.
- The first option is to wrap it with a towel/rag and let it sit for 4-5 hours.
- If you have an oven, you can use the second option — turn on the oven to 200-250, keep it on for only a minute and turn it off. Keep the container in the oven for four to five hours.
Ghee is our age old ayurvedic medicine and taste enhancer, and its high heat cooking ability makes it the perfect oil substitute.
- It has fat soluble vitamins A, D, E and K. Ghee helps with digestion, ulcers, and constipation. Ghee promotes healthy skin and eyes. It also promotes learning and memory retention. Ghee is very important during the early development of brain in children.
- Aids in absorption of vitamins and minerals from other foods.
- Rich in antioxidants.
To make butter:
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream ( I prefer organic )
- Water as needed.
- First, transfer the heavy whipping cream to the mixer.
- Add water as needed.
- Grind it until you get the butter. It takes about a minute.
- Take out the butter, ( if the butter is sticking to your hand,dip your hand in the warm water ) and squeeze the water.
- Transfer the butter to a little larger pan ( this will be helpful if the butter overflows when boiling).
To prepare Ghee:
- Our homemade butter
- pinch of turmeric (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon dry roasted methi seeds powder(optional)
- Heat the butter on a medium heat. Let it melt and start boiling.
- You will hear the bubbling noise.
- The main trick to know when the ghee is done, is the sound will stop and it will become golden brown color.
- If there are too much bubbles , hard to see the ghee, just watch that cream particles in the bubble will be golden brown color.Now turn off the heat and remove the pan from the stove.
- If you want to add turmeric and roasted methi seed powder, add it when the butter is boiling.
Now our homemade ghee is ready. Enjoy this with breakfasts,rasam and rice and much more.
This recipe is from my Mother, who makes excellent Rasam, Sambhar and Vangibath powder in an authentic way.
- 1 cup coriander seeds/dhania
- ½ cup jeera/cumin seeds
- ¼ cup mustard seeds
- little less than ¼ cup methi seeds/fenugreek seeds
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed turmeric root/powder
- ½ teaspoon hing/asafoetida
- 25 to 30 curry leaves
- 25 dried red chillies (smooth skin/guntur variety)
- 50 to 55 byadgi red chillies (if you don’t have this variety, substitute with 35 other variety chillies)
- Heat the large pan on medium high heat.
- Dry roast coriander seeds, jeera, mustard seeds, and methi seeds one by one.
- Add a teaspoon of oil and fry pepper and turmeric. Transfer it the plate.
- Now add remaining oil and put curry leaves fry it for few seconds.Then add hing , chillies. Roast it until it becomes warm.Now add all other roasted ingredients .Mix well and turn off the heat. Let it cool completely before we grind it.
- Put this mixture to the mixer and grind it to fine powder. Transfer it to the bowl and mix it well.
- Our homemade Rasam Powder is ready. Use it for making rasam and other delicious dishes puliyogare gojju, Spiced poha and more.