The sweet dates chutney is not just chutney for chats, it is multipurpose. I use this as a salad dressing over winter greens, cucumber and carrot salad. My daughter loves this spread with corn chips as a dip. It also makes a great taco sauce. Be sure to try this chutney with puffed riced, it is simply delicious….
Brown rice preserves beneficial nutrients such as fiber, magnesium and vitamin B6, compared to refined white rice which has lost much of these nutrients. Brown rice is rich in antioxidants, and other important nutrients, which help boost immunity, reduce the risk of colon cancer, heart disease and even the severity of asthma….
Yogurt/curd is rich in calcium, Vitamin B12 and other very important nutrients. Of course it is also a well known probiotic. These probiotics can help boost the immune system and promote a healthy digestive tract.This is a very good home remedy for women who suffer from urinary track infection.
Ingredients for making homemade yogurt:
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons of yogurt, or yogurt starter
- Bring the milk aside and let to a boil, then set it cool. Once it has reached the right temperature — meaning that when you feel it with your finger, it is slightly more than warm, or around 115⁰F — transfer the milk to a container. Mix in the culture.
- Now we must maintain the temperature of this to allow it to ferment. There are two options.
- The first option is to wrap it with a towel/rag and let it sit for 4-5 hours.
- If you have an oven, you can use the second option — turn on the oven to 200-250, keep it on for only a minute and turn it off. Keep the container in the oven for four to five hours.
Ghee is our age old ayurvedic medicine and taste enhancer, and its high heat cooking ability makes it the perfect oil substitute.
- It has fat soluble vitamins A, D, E and K. Ghee helps with digestion, ulcers, and constipation. Ghee promotes healthy skin and eyes. It also promotes learning and memory retention. Ghee is very important during the early development of brain in children.
- Aids in absorption of vitamins and minerals from other foods.
- Rich in antioxidants.
To make butter:
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream ( I prefer organic )
- Water as needed.
- First, transfer the heavy whipping cream to the mixer.
- Add water as needed.
- Grind it until you get the butter. It takes about a minute.
- Take out the butter, ( if the butter is sticking to your hand,dip your hand in the warm water ) and squeeze the water.
- Transfer the butter to a little larger pan ( this will be helpful if the butter overflows when boiling).
To prepare Ghee:
- Our homemade butter
- pinch of turmeric (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon dry roasted methi seeds powder(optional)
- Heat the butter on a medium heat. Let it melt and start boiling.
- You will hear the bubbling noise.
- The main trick to know when the ghee is done, is the sound will stop and it will become golden brown color.
- If there are too much bubbles , hard to see the ghee, just watch that cream particles in the bubble will be golden brown color.Now turn off the heat and remove the pan from the stove.
- If you want to add turmeric and roasted methi seed powder, add it when the butter is boiling.
Now our homemade ghee is ready. Enjoy this with breakfasts,rasam and rice and much more.